Math 116 Study Guide
1) In how many ways can you arrange 6 digits to make a
without repeating a digit?
2) In how many ways may 4 digits be arranged to form a
without repeating digits?
3) How many different 2-digit numbers can be arranged from
digits without repeating a digit?
4) Count the possibilities for arranging 6 cans of juice
on a refrigerator shelf.
5) Sassy had three sweaters and two skirts. How many
could she arrange with these items?
6) James has 4 shirts, 5 ties, and 3 pairs of slacks. How
clothes combinations can he make with these items?
7) If your instructor has a test bank that includes 50
easy questions, 20
average questions, and 5 hard questions, what is the probability that you
will choose a hard question if you choose one question at random?
8) A drawing is held for door prizes. If the names of 50
people are in the
pool for the drawing, what is the probability that Sueʹs name will be
pulled at random for the first prize?
9) If there are 4 red marbles and 5 blue marbles in a
sack, what is the
probability of drawing a red marble on the first draw?
10) If there are 4 red marbles and 5 blue marbles in a
sack, what is the
probability of drawing a red marble on the second draw, assuming a blue
marble was drawn first and not returned to the bag?
11) If 5 white balls and 7 blue balls are left on the
beach in a heap, what is the
probability that a white ball will be selected?
12) Identify the numerical coefficient: -4m
13) Solve the equation: x = (-3) + 7
14) Identify the numerical coefficient of the term: 3(x +
15) Choose a verbal interpretation of the following
symbolic statement: n/5=15
16) Write as an algebraic expression: Half of w
17) Write as an algebraic expression: Twice the sum of x
18) Simplify: 5(2x - 6)
19) Simplify by combining like terms: 8x - y + 2x + 3y
20) Simplify by applying the distributive principle and
combining like terms:
4(3x - 2) - (2x + 5)
21) Simplify by combining like terms: 3a - a - 6a
22) Simplify by combining like terms: 7a + 6 - 4b + 7b - 2
23) Simplify by combining like terms: 5x + 2y - 8y + x
24) Simplify by combining like terms: 17m + 14n - 3m - 10n
25) Simplify by combining like terms: 3.9c + 8.6c - 4.2d -
Testname: MTH 116 CH.6.4‐7.1 STUDY GUIDE
15) The quotient of a number and five is fifteen.
17) 2(x + 5)
18) 10x - 30
19) 10x + 2y
20) 10x - 13
22) 8a + 3b + 4
23) 6x - 6y
24) 4n+ 14m
25) 6.4c - 4.2d